The Peltz Gallery, based in the School of Arts, is a flexible exhibition space for digital and material displays, small-scale performances, lectures and meetings. The Gallery showcases the creative interdisciplinary and experimental research in the School. Over the three years since it opened, the Peltz has hosted a series of innovative historical and contemporary exhibitions based on the research interests and public engagement activities of academics and other staff at Birkbeck.
We are looking for interns to work with the Peltz Gallery director and committee to support the development of the Peltz Gallery programme, including helping to install and de-install exhibitions, developing our mailing lists and promotional work, and trying out new ideas for public engagement.
The essential components of this role are:
- Event co-ordination and promotion to target audiences (using online resources and social media)
- Help with installation and de-installation of exhibitions in the Peltz
- Liaise with and support exhibitors in promotion and outreach to attract new visitors to the gallery
- Liaise with and support School of Arts web-manager and the School of Arts Events and Communications Officer to promote exhibitions through social and other media
- Liaise with and support exhibitors in the design and print of event publications
- Monitor numbers and feedback
- Draft evaluation reports
Knowledge and experience required:
We are looking for a Birkbeck PhD student with some experience of
- working in a gallery and curating exhibitions – including installation and de-installation
- liaising between individuals in different organisations and within different departments
- scheduling and managing schedules
- using social media effectively as a communication and promotional mechanism
- using digital technologies to support and record events
- A willingness to bring their professional experience and knowledge to explore ways of developing the Peltz Gallery’s profile in London
Each internship involves 40 hours of paid employment at £15.26 per hour between c. October 1, 2016 and c. June 30 2017. The hours worked will be agreed in advance (spread across one or two terms) on a flexible basis with the Peltz director.
Send applications (CV and covering letter) by 5pm, October 3 to Wendy Earle: email@example.com