From Birkbeck’s Student Information:
Birkbeck’s three trade unions UCU, Unison and Unite have announced plans for a second day of strike action in relation to the national pay award offer. This will comprise one day of strike action on Tuesday 3 December.
The College regrets the impact that strike action will have on the Birkbeck community.
In such circumstances, the College is committed to operating services and facilities as normally as possible to minimise the impact on students and staff, subject to its ability to maintain a safe working environment.
On Tuesday 3 December:
- Regrettably, Birkbeck is not in a position to support evening teaching in College buildings.
- The intention is that teaching in other locations should proceed, where possible. Staff and students will be contacted to confirm specific arrangements at other venues.
To see whether your class is affected, please check your personal timetable in your My Birkbeck profile. This will be updated regularly, so please ensure you check before leaving for your class on Tuesday 3 December.
- College buildings will be open as normal for staff, students and visitors.
- The Library will only be open between 10am and 6pm and on a SELF-SERVICE basis only. You will need to bring your student card with you in order to get into the Library and there will be no service from the Issue or Help Desks. You will be able to borrow and return books using the self-service machines. For further information, please see the Library website.
- IT Services will operate a normal service. There will be no face-to-face IT Service Desk provision in the Student Centre. Telephone (020 7631 6543) and email (email@example.com) queries will be responded to as usual.
- The Student Centre will not be staffed, but a telephone and email service will operate.
- College catering services and the College shop will be open as normal.
- All other services are expected to operate as normal.
There will be picket lines at the entrance to Birkbeck buildings. Birkbeck has had constructive discussions with all the College’s Trade Unions about the nature of this activity, reflecting on, and drawing lessons from previous experience. Union colleagues who will be on the picket lines have given assurances that they will peacefully try to persuade those entering the building to support the strike, but will not physically prevent anyone from entering.
Please remember to check the status of your class in your personal timetable on your My Birkbeck profile before travelling to your class on Tuesday 3 December.